Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kuripot Problems: The DIY Lipstick Palette

I'm sort of "kuripot" when I buy stuff. I really don't care what brand it is as long as it's beneficial for my well being. But when it comes to cosmetics, I always rely on brands that are proven and tested. I don't mind buying costly make-up products (Mac, Urban Decay, Benefit etc.) but I'm not afraid on trying new cosmetics that are cheaper than the norm (Avon, Sophie Martin).

So I was cleaning my make-up case when I realized that my Sophie Martin lipstick collection's blunting out. I remembered I have to buy an empty lip palette so I can melt my lippies and mold it so I can take it wherever I go. 

I searched online and found out that there's one available in Seush in Trinoma (the same store where I bought my make-up case). But man, these are gold! A magnetic palette costs 800php - 900php, and it doesn't include the empty pans.


So being "kuripot" that I am, I wandered around Landmark in Trinoma and searched for an alternative and I saw a travel sized pill box.


And here I have half of my Sophie Martin Lipstick collection worth 79php - 85php. I swear this is a keeper, a cheap lipstick with a matte finish. Good for everyday use (leave a comment if you want me to have a review about this!)

Velvet Nude, Red Pepper, Caramel Sugar and Cotton Peach. It's pretty obvious what color I often use :)
Ladies, gents, and everyone in between, I give you a simple tutorial on how you can make your own economical lip palette.


THINGS THAT YOU NEED:
  1. Tissue
  2. Lighter
  3. Lipstick
  4. Candle
  5. Spoon
  6. Butter Knife (or a small spatula if you have one)
  7. Pill box


STEP 1 - Take some tissue and lay it on the table. This will be your cutting board (believe me, this will be one messy ride, especially if it's your first time doing it). Get your lipstick and cut what's remaining of it and put it on your spoon.


STEP 2 - scrape off the remaining lipstick using your butter knife. If your knife's too big, you can use a small spatula or a toothpick. I used a cuticle pusher for this.



STEP 3 - Once everything is removed, light your candle and melt the lipstick.

LIFE HACKS: If you have the same candle as mine but don't have the same lighter, you can use a regular lighter + stem of a broomstick or uncooked spaghetti strand to light it. You're welcome :)
NOTE: DON'T DIRECTLY PUT THE SPOON ON FIRE. We just need to melt it, not boil it!

The consistency should be like this:



STEP 4 - Transfer the melted lipstick directly to the pill box and let it cool off for 5-10 mins.




Wipe off your spoon and knife and repeat the process on the remaining lipsticks. And here's the result!


You can also make your own lip color by mixing different lipsticks. And it's okay if you make a mess coz IT IS MESSY.

The aftermath

Enjoy making your own lip palette!

3 comments:

  1. waaaah!!! OMG i think i cant do that to my lipsticks! like cut their heads off and melt them down! weee! hehhe. but ou know, kidding aside, this is ver resourceful sis hah! ang galing, i know make up artists can scrape it to make it more convenient to bring, like just put it in one container but the melting procedure you showed here is difefrent. i like it nice idea, will share this:)

    ReplyDelete