Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Con

Oct 22, '08 (a veeery old album review)



Category:Music
Genre:Alternative Rock
Artist:Tegan and Sara


I'm such a sucker for alternative music.Though I appreciate all the genres - from emo, to ska, to hardcore, to post-punk, to goth - I still return to that reason why I became a believer in the power of rock.

Alternative was also my refuge when I get tired of all the growling, screaming and screeching that the other genres cater... and yeah, yeah, sometimes it's cheesy blah, blah... But it's a consideration when you listen to Tegan and Sara's new album, THE CON.

No, I'm not saying their songs are as tacky as the others, but their lyrics may move you in a certain reaction whenever you can relate to their songs. Kinda like saying OMG's and "s#!+!" un every line you hear (that is, if you're in tack with your emotions).

Honestly, I never heard of Tegan and Sara before. I just accidentally passed-by their myspace account through a common friend...

Okay, I made that 'accidentally passed-by' part. I discovered them through a friend of mine out of curiosity. But curiosity paid off and the lesbo twins didn't let me down - yes, my dear friends, they are twins and lesbians, making them and their music more interesting.

BACK IN YOUR HEAD was the first song I heard from them, and it was an instant hook-up. Sara's voice is really a catch, giving a kick to the song and that rollicking "hagod" in every end. While both twins are similarly involved in vocals and instruments, the singing of the lead melody usually goes to whichever twin wrote the particular song. You can tell their difference with their voices - Tegan has an aggressive voice, while Sara makes a sweet, mellifluous, laid-back tune.

The album showcases their misfits in their life, love, hate, and of course, their sexuality. There's the rebellious sound of NINETEEN, were it reflects Tegan's personality (sometimes she feels back in her immature days), and my personal favorites BURN YOUR LIFE DOWN with the cunning words "keep on fighting t remember that nothing is lost in the end,"; the ever emotional FLOORPLAN which draws a feeling of holding on but a need to let go coz you feel this kind of pressure; the martyrdom of SOIL, SOIL were it is obviously seen in the chorus, "All you need to save me is call/ And I'll be curled on the floor hiding out from it all/ And I won't take any other call."; the witty CALL IT OFF were you think that maybe you would have been something you'd be good at; and the revelation song LIKE O, LIKE H that explains their gender witht he catchy lines, "S.O.S. to my mother..." and, "Like Oh, Oh, sugar spell it out..."

Of course there are some tracks that'll fit your mood, like the techno jive of ARE YOU TEN YEARS AGO (thanks to Hunter Burgan of AFI for the extra effects), the oriental concord of KNIFE GOING IN were Sara dedicates the song to some Emy, the angsty lines of HOP A PLANE which goes, "You take a second/ take a year/ you took me out and took me in and told me all of this/ and then you take a moment/ take a year/ you help me out and listen to you/ taught me all of this and then...", the semi-garage tune of the album title track THE CON, and the plea of DARK COME SOON with lines, "Everything I say, I say to me first/ everything I do, I do to me first... Hold out for the ones who know will love you..." Enough said.

Although some of their songs are distinguished as "emo-ish" due of having the same theme, the rarity of Tegan and Sara Quin's songwriting defies who they really are. They don't give a shit on any dissent or discrimination they receive, especially on their music video's for The Con and their recent one Call it Off. And no one's gonna stop them in making good music.

Girl power to them...or should I say, "L" power?



~ Rima Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment